Our travel consultants can assist with booking air travel between Oslo or Tromsø and Longyearbyen. If needed, we can also book accommodation in Oslo or Tromsø.
This tour can be customized, including additional nights in Oslo, Tromsø, or Longyearbyen on request. We can also combine this tour with other tours in Norway or other Nordic countries. Contact us for details.
• 3.5-hour dog-sledding tour on wheels on the morning of departure.
• Departures are daily in July and August
• Due to flight times between Svalbard and Norway, travellers are urged to spend the night in either Oslo or Tromsø before and after the trip.
• The summer climate in Svalbard is generally mild with average temperatures of 5 to 9° Celsius. However, Arctic conditions can cause sudden weather changes so it is recommended to bring warm, weatherproof outerwear along with thermal layers and good walking boots. Sunglasses and sunscreen are also recommended due to the long daylight exposure from the midnight sun. A list of necessary personal equipment will be provided before arriving.
• The itinerary can change without notice due to Arctic weather conditions.
• This tour is not suitable for young children.
• Participants should be in good general health for this tour.
Environmental protection and tourism in Svalbard:
“You are welcome to return to Svalbard when no one has noticed you’ve already been here.” Svalbard’s vegetation is very exposed, particularly due to the permafrost, and destruction of flora can leave a lasting scar on the landscape. All vegetation is therefore protected and all traces of human activity up to 1945 are regarded as cultural monuments. Svalbard’s Environmental Act strictly regulates travel on Svalbard, so if you are planning a trip alone outside of Administration Area 10 (central parts of Spitsbergen), you must inform the Ombudsman and show proof of insurance.
Polar bears and visitor safety in Svalbard:
The polar bear is probably the foremost symbol of Svalbard’s wildlife and it is a truly exhilarating experience to see them in their natural habitat. Keep in mind that Svalbard prohibits coaxing, pursuing, or disturbing polar bears in such a way that endangers humans or the bears themselves. Attacks on humans, though rare, can be lethal. Therefore, on all guided tours and activities, visitor safety is overseen by experienced guides who carry shotguns at all times and let off warning shots if needed. The authorities in Svalbard, together with the joint travel industry, encourage participation in organised, guided activities in order to protect both visitors and polar bears.
All bookings are charged in Euros (EUR). Prices displayed in other currencies are indicative only and based on the daily exchange rate. Therefore, conversions from EUR to other currencies will fluctuate from day to day.
After booking with Nordic Visitor
After booking your package with Nordic Visitor, you will be contacted within two working days by one of our travel consultants, who will serve as your dedicated contact person for all of your travel needs before, during and even after your holiday. Your travel consultant will provide you with details about your booking and your remaining payment (if not paid in full). You will also receive more information about what to expect during your holiday.